13 May 2012

Haiti, Day 13

Today was the beach day!  I got on the bus at 8:30am and we hit the road!  I rode in the front seat today because I wanted to try it out.  It was actually a bit scary at first!  Olin is a crazy (but good) driver and being up front just emphasizes that!  Anyways, it took us about 2 ½ hours to get to Indigo Beach.  I wasn’t sure what to expect, but sort of figured we were just going to a public beach.  It ended up being a big resort which you had to pay to get in to and then they had a big buffet for lunch.  As we arrived, we followed a big UN truck in to the parking lot and there were several other UN trucks already there.  Apparently this is what the UN army does on the weekends. 

So we got in line to get in to the resort, paid, and found a chair on the beach.  It was a really nice place with a massive swimming pool, dining area, music, etc.  Ang & I sunscreened up (Greg however did not put very much on, even though I recommended it…) and then we got in the water.  It was a gorgeous day and the water was beautiful.  However, we were surrounded by men!  Men were everywhere!  There was probably like only ten other women there.  It was crazy!  Anyway, we stayed in the water for a while, swam out to the buoys, and then went and sat down on our beach chairs.  We all hung out until lunch time and then hit the buffet (which ended up being pretty good).

After the buffet we got back in the water for a bit, did some swimming, tried to communicate with Olin (he is so patient with us!), etc.  Went back and sat in our chairs for a while.  I bought some art work.  We ordered a beverage.  Me and Ang got some bracelet’s.  That’s about it.  We left around 3:30pm and headed back to HHH.  We got stuck for age’s part way home because there was a carnival going on.  Other than that it was a pretty smooth ride.  Anyways, I got pretty sunburned (whoops) as did pretty much everyone else.  I hopped in the shower.  We ate dinner.  Called my Momma (Happy Mother’s Day!).  And now, here I am. 

Well, tomorrow is our last full day here.  I honestly can’t believe it; it has gone so fast!  I am pretty ready to go home in a lot of ways (selfish ways, of course) but I honestly think I will be back here one day.  Maybe next year, maybe in ten years.  Who knows.  Anyway…  I should get some sleep.  We have a full day tomorrow!

Honestly like the only picture I took at the beach... Sailboat!
Cows being herded....
More cows.

No comments: