09 May 2012

Haiti, Day 9

I’m pretty tired tonight, so I am going to be rather brief.  This morning we had to be on the bus by 8am to head to the Mennonite Central Committee.   After a short ride we arrived and were led inside by a woman named Linda.  She lives there with her husband Jim, and they help run the Haiti branch of the MCC.  We listened to them speak about their work in Haiti and four other MCC employees also spoke.  They are a great organization, which works all over the world making a difference.

Next, we ate lunch at MacEpi again where I attempted to use an ATM.  I never told my bank that I was going to Haiti so figured it wouldn't work but it did!  I was able to pull 5,000 goud.  Hooray!  Anyways, next we headed to the Centre d'Étude et de Coopération Internationale (CECI).  They work in mainly the rural areas of Haiti promoting development and women’s rights.  They set up community counseling and to incentivize people to cooperate, they state that they will donate money toward goals the community sets up in those meetings.  After that meeting we headed back to the HHH Compound, played bananagrams, ate dinner… 

Then we had a scientist who works for Nature Conservancy, group come and speak to us about his work.  It was really interesting and he told us that right now they are trying to get Haiti to declare a strip of the bay protected.  He actually lives in Provo, Utah (what are the odds?) and works all over the Caribbean.  So… Hooray for conservation!  Anyways, tomorrow we are heading off to Clean Water for Haiti, which should be pretty interesting.  Anyways, I took just a couple of pictures today but I am too lazy to stick them on here right now…  So I’ll post them tomorrow.  Oh!  And by the way...  I woke up with 24 mosquito bites on my upper arm and elbow.  Not sure how that happened but it is sure itchy!  Goodnight!

No comments: